Halloween costume ideas for cruise ship crew members can range from subtly spooky to frighteningly fun. Costumes are fun and a perfect part of a Halloween party or event, but what costumes are right for cruise crew members?
Cruise Ship Promotion Costumes
On some Halloween cruises, or those that offer Halloween-themed activities, the crew members may already have designated costumes. Carnival's Fun Ship cruises during the month of October have in the past participated in a "Frightfully Fun" promotion where the cruise line partnered with MasterFoods USA (producers of some of the most popular trick-or-treat favors such as M&M's, Skittles, and Snickers) to offer trick or treating and other themed activities. Crew member employees may be designated related promotional costumes, such as M&M characters that passengers can be photographed with.
Cruise lines may differ on their regulations regarding crew costume. While some may have promotional or designated costumes, other ships, such as Nautical Cruise Lines, may offer Halloween activities, but the crew members and DJ do not dress in costume. Some cruise lines don't opt for Halloween themes, but have formal nights on October 31. Still others may make Halloween costumes optional for crew members.
Working in Costume
Costumes can add an extra touch to Halloween festivities on cruise ships; the willingness of crew members to dress up in costume can add to the atmosphere tremendously, especially on family cruises. Considerations crew members may want to keep in mind when choosing costumes should relate to their specific job, as well as the following:
- Size and Bulk: Will the costume allow you to walk and work comfortably?
- Breathability: Consider whether the costume will make you uncomfortably hot or cold.
- Outrageousness: Especially for family cruises, crew members may wish to avoid extremely scary or violent costume cruise wear.
- Political Correctness: Although Halloween makes it fun to "be" someone different, costumes that appear to disrespect a specific race or ethnicity are not appropriate for crew members.
- Wardrobe Guidelines: Avoid overly revealing or suggestive costumes.
Halloween Costume Ideas for Cruise Ship Crew Members
Once potential regulations and preferences of the cruise line have been identified, it's time to find a costume! Groups of crew members may decide to have themed costumes that work together or individual costumes. A few ideas might be:
- A famous TV or movie cruise boat costume, such as this Love Boat Costume for women
- Fun pirate costumes
- Traditional island dress costumes for a destination cruises
- A food or beverage costume
- Whale, dolphin, or other ocean life
- Witch or Wizard
- Robin Hood
- Sherlock Holmes
- Super heroes
- Renaissance or vintage costumes
- 1950s wait staff
- Fast food servers
For more ideas, check out the following helpful resources:
- Visit LoveToKnow Costumes for hundreds of costume ideas, or go to Hair or Make Up for creepy wig and Halloween make up suggestions! *Steppin' Out Costumes: Provides great costumes (and ideas) for caterers, entertainment workers, and other industry personnel.
- Costume Ideas for Grown-Ups from Costume Cauldron
Halloween costume ideas for cruise ship crew members can make having a cruise ship job a fun fall career as well as an opportunity to spread spooky spirit across the seas.