The Cunard flagship is one of the finest, luxury ocean liners in the cruise industry. Cunard's flagship, Queen Mary 2, is known the world over for its accommodations, amenities and trips.
Features of the Cunard Flagship, Queen Mary 2
The Queen Mary 2 is one of several vessels run by Cunard. The company calls the stunning ship the "most magnificent ocean liner every built." The ship features 14 decks, each offering a unique experience. Visitors will also find ballrooms, numerous theatres and lounges, and other luxurious accommodations onboard the massive ship.
The Queen Mary 2 is also known for its tremendous size. The ship is five times longer than the first one Cunard cruise line made. The Queen Mary 2 is 1,132 feet long, which is 147 feet longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall and it is only 117 feet shorter than the Empire State Building is tall. The ship's whistle can be heard for 10 miles.
The Cunard flagship has a guest capacity of 2620 people. To accommodate this many people, the ship does has various suite options, including:
- Queen Grill Suites: The most lavish on board the Cunard flagship, these suites are significantly larger than traditional suites. They feature priority check-in, French champagne upon arrival, personal butler service and private lounges. The largest is the Grand Duplex, which is 2249 square feet. The smallest of these types of suites is the Queens Suites, which run about 506 square feet.
- Princess Grill Suites: These slightly stepped down options include private lounges and reserved table dining in the Princess Grill. These suites are 381 square feet and feature balconies.
- Britannia Club Balcony: These 248-square-foot units are stylish staterooms with lounge areas and dining in the single seating Britannia Club Restaurant.
Other accommodations available include the Britannia Balcony, Britannia Oceanview and the Britannia Inside accommodations. Each one is slightly smaller than the previous. Nevertheless, all accommodations on board are luxurious and comfortable.
Restaurants and Lounges
The Cunard flagship features numerous dining experiences. In the Queens Grill Experience, luxury is the key word. Waterford crystal and Wedgwood china are used with gourmet meals, such as lobster, roast duck and halibut. The cruise liner also features several other restauran-style dining experiences including the Princess Grill Experience and the Britannia Experience. Many bars and lounges are present on board as well.
Other Features of the Cunard Flagship
Each cruise on board the Queen Mary 2 is unique. A large ballroom provides elegant evenings. Various workships and lectures occur on board as well. The Canyon Ranch SpaClub is also available to guests. In addition, large selections of children's activities are available including "The Play Zone," which features toys, activities and games for children.
During the evening, guests can enjoy casinos, karaoke, dancing, theatre presentations and live music. Guests can also take part in various enrichment programs such as book clubs, cooking demos, dramatic arts programs, astronomy programs and a jazz school.
The Cunard flagship travels around the world. Many of its trips are Transatlantic, since the ship is a British cruise liner. Trips can be as short as six days and as long as 12-plus days depending on the trip. Other options include:
- Roundtrip Transatlantic Crossing: A 12-night trip leaving from Southampton and arriving in New York
- Grand Northern Splendours: A 26-day cruise leaving from New York and traveling through Norway's coastline and to the Arctic Circle. This round-trip cruise also stops in Southampton before returning to New York.
- Eastboard Transatlantic Crossing to Hamburg: This eight-day cruise leaves from New York and travels to Southhampton before completing the trip in Hamburg
To learn more about the Queen Mary 2 or other Cunard ships, visit the Cunard website. The site is also an ideal place to book a trip or to check out additional cruise options.